Sunday, July 19, 2009

Good Night Sweetheart


I just put Mallory to bed. She will be four in less than 2 months. The baby things have been put away, sent to consignment, or given away. I took the rail off her twin bed a couple of weeks ago. She does still wear pull-ups at night, and that is our last bastion of "baby" stuff. I have never been overly sentimental about having them grow up but it pops up every now and then.

When she was a baby, I would sing to her as I walked her around her room before I laid her in her crib for bedtime. I loved this last act of her day with her head laying on my shoulder about to drift off. (And I would get a little peace and quiet too!) The song that I sang was a very messed up version of "Good Night Sweetheart, Well It's Time to Go" that I heard from watching "Three Men and a Baby." I never looked up the words so I just made up my own and sang "ba bum tee dums" when I didn't know the words. Last night, for some reason it just popped in my head and I sang it to her. I wasn't sure if she remembered it at all.

Tonight, she asked me to sing to her the song again...and she was really mad at me prior to this...but she gave me the sweetest smile of recognition??? and I am going to pretend that she remembers me singing her this song over and over again when she was a teeny tiny baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers