Friday, March 26, 2010

Music to sing to

One afternoon while driving my carpool (to and from preschool, to and from grade school, every day, day in, day out, have I said how excited that they will be at the same school next year, except for the tuition??!) I turned on the Love channel on XM. I have avoided this in the past because what I would consider to be dud songs would come on like, "Shake You Down" by Gregory Abbot (would you have known who Gregory Abbot was without the song title?), or something by Journey, Foreigner, or Spandeau Ballet. It's not that these groups are not great, it's just that they don't do it for me. And as you know dear reader, I'm not opposed to sap, as my recent blog about Celene Dion would attest to though I have moved on. The Celene homage is over and it is now equal parts Adam Lambert, Disney's Princess and the Frog and the 2010 Grammy nominated songs with a little Glee thrown in.

Back to the afternoon of love, the first song that came on I said, "Oh my gosh, I LOVE this song!" and sang every word of the song that I hadn't heard in years. Then the next one came on, and I thought, Oh my gosh, I love THIS song too!. And on it went, a long string of songs. These were songs that played major parts of my lovelife in the late 70's, early 80's, and for some particular songs, I could name which guy I was deeply in denial about. It was a recollection of youth, and sweet emotions. But my gosh, what a sap I was. These songs were so syrupy. I guess for me, the 80's were equal parts sappy songs and funkytown fashions. I never realized how bad the fashions were in the 80's but I have had to accept this when I hear fashion mavens, like Rachel Zoe state it as a fact. I was deep in fashion denial as well.

With the girls in the car after pickups, they became annoyed that I was enjoying this music so much. Riley especially now detests the "Love" channel and can tell me when to change the station. (Why did she have to learn to read?) The funny part for me was when we got home, I then couldn't name any of the songs that I had just LOVED. So I listened to the station for days more to try to remember which songs I was so enthused by and Riley just groaned, and I did too with more Air Supply. But I was able to come up with a sketchy list of songs that possibly moved me that afternoon - Kenny Rogers and "She Believes In Me", something by Christopher Cross, and Dan Hill's "Sometimes When We Touch". Can you get any better than Dan Hill? I am pretty sure that Anne Murray's version of "You needed Me" was in the mix. I played piano and I played that song along with "The Rose","You Light Up My LIfe" and the theme from "Ice Castles", over and over singing every line.

And then I know Melissa Manchester's "Don't Cry Out Loud" was in the mix.



But with lyrics like this there is no wonder why I am in therapy...the circus coming to town, litter and glitter used in the same song, taking up with a clown, and not crying out loud, keeping those feelings bottled up. This IS why I'm in therapy!! And what exactly does this song mean? If you have any ideas, please throw them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers